Disclaimer

City Parks

Abshire Park
1302 E. Lincoln Avenue
Area: 60.0 Acres

Donated to the Park and Recreation Department in 1986, this 60 acre tract is the second largest park in the City.  Developed to accommodate primarily passive and interpretive programs, Abshire Park helps to maintain balance in the park system between active and passive recreational opportunities.  The park lies adjacent to, and is accessible from the Pumkinvine Trail, a leg of the Maple City Greenway Trail Network.  The north end of the park is a managed natural area and includes a prairie restoration, wet lands, and traditional forest.  Rock Run Creek borders the park to the southwest and provides an excellent habitat.

Bakersfield Park
1302 Baker Avenue
Area: .5 Acres

The park is located on the corner of Baker Avenue and Winter Avenue and is 0.5 acre in size. Features include an informal play field structure, and a picnic area; resulting in a perfect example of the “vestpocket” park.

Burdick Park
125 W. Burdick
Area: 1 Acre

This park is another excellent example of a neighborhood “vest-pocket” park.  It is  located at the intersection of West Burdick Street and Wilson Avenue.  Facilities include a basketball court, a play structure and an open field.  Mature shade trees in and around the park enhance the parks image and usability in hot weather.

Church Park
504 N. 8th St.
Area: .4 Acres

Less than half an acre in size, Church Park is located on North Eighth Street at Summit Street.  Facilities include a play structure, swings, and a basketball court. 

Larry Beachy Classified Forest
Located between the Elkhart River and the Millrace Canal
Area: 34.5 Acres

The classified forest  was acquired in 2003 and is 34.5 acres. Dr. Larry Beachy, the original owner of the classified forest, planted many of the 23 tree species located in the forest.  The classified forest offers interpretive trails, wildflower viewing and enjoyment of nature. The Rieth Interpretive Center, located in Millrace Park to the north of Classified Forest, schedules bird viewing and nature walks through the forest.

Linway Lake
South of Linway Plaza Shopping
Area: 7.0 acres

Comprised almost entirely of open water, this seven-acre park is appropriately named because of its location directly south of Linway Shopping Center.  The property extends to the west bank of the Elkhart River and serves as a stormwater detection area for Linway Plaza Shopping Center.

McFarland Park
125 Vinson Ct.
Area: 0.2 Acres

Located on Vinson Court this “vest pocket park” is less than a half acre.  It was created by a partnership with Habitat for Humanity and Mrs. McFarland who donated the playground equipment, picnic table, gazebo and benches.

Millrace Park
410 W.  Plymouth Avenue
Area: 17.0 Acres

Located south of Plymouth Avenue, this 17 acre park is home to the Rieth Interpretive Center, 50 trees of Indiana, and the Arbor Day Celebration.  Millrace Park lies between the Elkhart River and Millrace Canal and across Plymouth Avenue from Shanklin Park. The Millrace Trail skirts the east side of the park, providing excellent bicycle and pedestrian access.  The western and southern portions of the park are particularly picturesque, largely due to the impact of the Elkhart River and its floodplain.

Model School Park
310 S. Greene Road
Area: 4.0 Acres

Model School Park is an “L” shaped tract of 4 acres adjacent to Model Elementary School.  Features include tennis courts and an open play field. 

Mullet Park
512 S. Indiana Avenue
Area: 15.0 Acres

Nearly 15 acres in size, Mullet Park is located between Indiana Avenue and the Elkhart River, and is accessible via a pedestrian bridge which crosses the river into Shanklin Park.  The park is essentially open space except for several trees and a trail leading to the pedestrian bridge.

Oakridge Park
715 N. First St.
Area : 3.5 Acres

This park, at 3.5 acres, is the largest of the neighborhood parks. It lies just north of Oakridge Cemetery, at the corner of North First Street and Oakridge Avenue, and is bounded on the south side by Rock Run Creek.  Facilities include a lighted basketball court and playground.  The Historic Iron Truss Footbridge that crosses Rock Run Creek into Oakridge Park was relocated from Wilden Avenue in 2003.  Oakridge Park will serve as a trailhead for the proposed Maple City Greenway, Phase 5.

Pringle Park
1912 W. Lincoln Avenue
Area: 14.0 Acres

Originally donated in 1979, Pringle Park is 14 acres. This primarily sports-oriented park serves an important community need.  The park can be accessed from Lincoln Avenue or Greene Road, via entrance drive north of Model Elementary School.  Facilities include youth soccer fields, Fidler Pavilion, a playground and a perimeter pedestrian path.  Fidler Pavilion accommodates free “Summer Series Concerts." The entrance is lined with oriental trees.  The parking lot is beautifully “tree scaped” and offers ample parking.  The park’s adjacency to the Little League Softball Complex creates the opportunity for partnership in terms of programing and maintenance.

Rieth Park
1508 S. 13th St.
Area: 1.3 Acres

Built on 1.3 acres of land donated by the Rieth Family in 1980, this neighborhood park features a basketball court, a small picnic shelter, a playground and an open play area.  This park is zoned very clearly between structured and informal uses.  Land and Water Conservation Funds were used to develop the park.

Rogers Park
102 Chicago Avenue
Area: 12 Acres

Originally developed in 1909, Rogers Park was the largest 12 acres and most heavily used park in the City for 50 years.  Facilities include a large historic picnic pavilion, a lighted basketball court, a lighted baseball diamond, restrooms, a canoe launch and a playground.  A pedestrian bridge spanning the Elkhart River connects the park to the downtown area and the Maple City Greenway. New in 2004, “Tyler S. Joldersma Memorial Skate Park”, is a community-built facility for skate boarders and inline skaters to practice their sport.

Shanklin Park
411 W. Plymouth Avenue
Area: 90 Acres

At 90 acres, Shanklin is by far the City’s largest park, and lies between the Elkhart River and Millrace Canal at the heart of the community. Since its development in 1958, Shanklin Park has become the “hub” of recreational activity in Goshen. Facilities include lighted baseball / softball diamonds and a swimming pool, Schrock Pavilion , a canoe launch, community-built Tommy's Kids Castle, Kiwanis Pavilion and a playground.  Shanklin Park also boasts significant passive opportunities, including native grasses and wildflowers, a long forested wetland and a perennial garden that delights passers-by.  Additionally, the park houses the Park and Recreation Department’s Administrative Offices and Maintenance Center. 

Shoup-Parsons Woods Park
Adjacent to Goshen Dam
Area 17.0 Acres

Designed as a natural education area, Shoup-Parsons Woods was dedicated in 1980.  The park is comprised of nearly 17 acres of lowland forest between the Elkhart River and the Millrace Canal,and is accessed by crossing the headgates  of the Millrace at the Goshen Dam Pond. Features include a paved fully accessible trail loop, a boardwalk overlooking an existing wetland and additional interpretive trails. 

Walnut Park
Area: 1.8 Acres

A neighborhood park of less than 2 acres, Walnut Park includes a softball field, a basketball court, a playground, splash pad and a picnic shelter.  The “L” shape of the site helps to create activity zones for basketball, softball and playground use. Slight “topography” in some areas  of the park adds interest and sledding opportunities. 

Water Tower Park
Plymouth Avenue along the 9th Street Corridor
Area: 3.4 Acres

This area formerly was the City Water Department property. This 3.4 acre park  was deeded over to the care of the park Department in 1997. Its primary use is to provide green space and an open play area. 

Waterford Park
Area: 27.95 Acres

Located on the southeast side of the City. Waterford has 27.95 acres of undeveloped area. A park improvement plan will need to be put together.